These are just a few helpful tips for planning a successful World Hepatitis Day in Canada event. Click here to download a pdf document containing these tips.
1. Identify Clear Goals & Objectives
- Figure out what you want to achieve. Do you want to increase community awareness and distribute information, or offer screening and vaccinations as well?
2. Form a Planning Committee
- Draft a budget for your event and determine whether fundraising is needed.
- Write proposals for donations and in-kind contributions, and contact local businesses that might be willing to contribute.
- Choose an appropriate event location. Remember: your event goers need to feel comfortable at your event.
- Make a list of necessary supplies, such as chairs, tables, garbage/recycling bins, portable toilets, extension cords, ladders, etc.
- Create a backup plan for outside events in case of rain.
5. Recruit Volunteers
- Create a volunteer recruitment poster and post it at local universities and busy areas.
- Contact student groups at local universities for volunteers
- Create a list of volunteer responsibilities and assign them to your volunteers, such as setting up before the event, taking photos, first aid, and cleaning up afterwards.
6. Involve Local Media
- Use established contacts, if available, to encourage media involvement.
- Create a press release and contact local radio stations and newspapers.
7. Advertising and Event Promotion
- Use a variety of avenues to increase awareness of your event and get people to attend.
- Upload event information on websites and use social media (facebook and twitter).
- Develop event flyers and post them in busy areas and at related outreach organizations.
- Create different flyers for different target audiences (for example, create a more youth-focused flyer to specifically engage youth in the community).
8. Invite Local Government
- Draft a formal invite letter for the Mayor, MPs, MPPs, City Councillors, sponsors, police officers, etc. Invite them to speak at the event to engage them and emphasize their presence.
- Contact the Mayor’s office to obtain a World Hepatitis Day Proclamation.
- Keep the target audience in mind when planning entertainment.
- Put up decorations, play music, play games, and serve free food to draw people to the event.
- Hold a raffle with donated prizes to keep people at your event.
10. Feedback and Evaluation
- Encourage event goers to give their feedback about the event.
- Have them fill out a short survey about what they learned and what they liked or did not like about the event. Use this feedback to identify areas for improvement for future events.